Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A lot can happen in two weeks...

Yesterday Ben and I went to the Federal Police to find out the status of his visa renewal application. He has a missionary visa, has been applying for the renewal since January, and keeps on being told it's not ready, and then they give him another month or two renewal until the next time he shows up. It's been a headache. Yesterday we go and find out that he's been rejected. On August 19. And he had fifteen days from that point to appeal, but since they didn't notify him that he had been rejected, that leaves him with about four days to pull all the paperwork together for the appeal. Pray for him! Pray for us! We're in the middle of a servant team and Ben's the leader...and my visa situation is still really up in the air too...

We're talking to our lawyer friend about our options tonight.

At this point, my worst case scenario is that I leave Brazil in October, spend the rest of the year working in Peru, and then return in January on another tourist visa, where I'll have enough time to sign up for classes at the university (if I can pass the entrance exam in Portuguese) and get a student visa...or something. We're frustrated. It really shouldn't be THIS hard.

So that in itself is a lot, but it's not all of my news. That was the bad news...the good news is that my friend Junior and I have decided to try this whole cross-cultural dating thing...I find it hard to believe myself, but I have a boyfriend! He's a great guy. You'll hear more about him later...and maybe some pictures. Right now, I'm freezing in the ac of this internet cafe, and my time's about to run out...

Até logo!

No comments: