Friday, February 17, 2006

Flowers from Argentina

I really thought it was just a flower design.

Erica took me to Caxias today (that's pronounced 'ka-shee-as') for my pre-Carnaval shopping. That is, I needed appropriate swim wear, plus new flipflops, a belt, and other odds and ends. And this is supposed to be the best place in the city price wise, you know, that central market where all the stores buy their stuff and then re-sell it...

There are two buses direct to Caxias from my house and we managed to grab the non-airconditioned one...and I was sitting next to this very annoying man who kept turning around and staring, unapologetically at me through his wraparound sunglasses the entire time...the ENTIRE time. It was so hard to ignore him...I had to turn around and talk to Erica over my shoulder while trying not to fall off the seat of the bus as every pore in my body is turning to mush...

So we'd been shopping for hours in the hot sun and not finding any swimsuits that met with her approval when boom! There's a table set up with R$ 9.99 bikinis. That's five bucks. They're all rolled up in cute little plastic sacks that are marked with the wrong sizes, so you find a style and design that you like only to realize that it's too small and there aren't any more in the whole bin. After the fourteenth or fifteenth wrong size, I was getting exhausted. So we narrowed it down to three, and the pink one won because it was pink. And size large. But there were no dressing rooms.

So when we got home I tried it on...and something didn't seem right...as I'm bending down to tie the neck straps, I look and Che Guevara is staring me in the face! Yes, you got that right. I mistook Che for flowers and am wearing a pink revolutionary on my chest. It's priceless. I couldn't have found a better suit if I'd tried...

I feel so very, very trendy...and will have a killer tan here in a week or so.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Jenna- LOVE the new suit, though I did think as soon as I saw it...are those Che heads?! Priceless.

And here's my post, by the way, proving that at least one person IS reading your blog. I love it, because it brings me back there. Give Erica and the rest beijos for me.

--jenna said...

thanks, laura. yes, i'm the only WMF'er to actually NOT recognize che...

sheltered. homeschooled. excused.

beijos back to you as well!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jenna, Dad saw the suit! He doesn't want to talk about it...
FYI - I included your blog in the handout for Sunday, so now all your friends can see your new swimming attire!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice Jenna, oh yeah I also read your blog.

Anonymous said...

That is quite the suit... so very pink.