Saturday, April 29, 2006

Speaking of street people...

our friend Wanda is now practically our neighbor, living between Manguinhos and Jacarezinho...I ran into her on the street the other day, and she attacked me with her skinny little body, wrapping herself around me and smothering my neck in kisses. I was excited to see her, but I'm not sure I'll ever be that emocionada about anyone...though the encounter with her left me with a HUGE smile for the rest of the night.

And in Saens Pena the other day, I saw a man who looked familiar, so I went to talk to him after my lunch meeting. He was the brother-in-law of my old friend Raimunda. I gave him my cell phone number so she could get in touch with me...people, I find this strange. She called me that same night. Get this. I meet this woman because she's begging, right? She's been out of the city, out of the state, for four months, visiting family in Bahia. She has a cell phone. And apparently, she still "works" in Saens Pena. Anyone else find this ironic, exchanging cell phone numbers with a beggar???

I want to see her again, but don't feel it's safe to go alone to where she lives, so I'm going to wait until Ben comes back.

If this keeps up, I'm going to need another cell phone just to recieve calls from my street friends...

No comments: