Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Pedra Lisa

As I stagger down the stone steps and grades of Pedra Lisa, I wonder, half in a state of moony hallucination, what the headlines will look like: American falls to certain death from high Rio cliff; rescued by mountains of trash breaking her fall...

Pedra Lisa is built on just that. A smooth stone. With high steps and slick rock stairs, it's not the best place to be decending after nightfall when you're dizzy and catching a fever. Which I was, last night.

It always seems to happen, just after the full moon, this 12-24 hour exhaustion thing that leaves as quickly as it came...

I was at Pedra Lisa, because today was my day to tell the story and it was my first time too, so I was a bit peeved my energy was so low. There are three groups that we do the Bible club with: kids near the bottom of the mountain and kids up top, at an old church building Timonis bought. All in all, we could have 100 kids on a good night. So there I am, getting all worked up and jumping around, wringing my hands, pretending to be Jesus and Jairus and the dead daughter and the sick woman all at the same time...and then after each storytelling, finding some place where I could sit down and lean up against a wall and just breathe...

But even with being sick, it was a good time. And the kids sat really still and appeared to like my storytelling. But maybe they were just confused. I'm not so certain that all my tenses were right...

No comments: