My friend Ali has a fun meme up on her blog: the A and K Alternate Career Meme.
The basic idea: "If you had the opportunity to do a 1-year internship in a company or field completely unrelated to your current career or specialty, what would be your top 5 choices?"
This is a great way to daydream away a long flight or drive...I went a bit over five choices, so the ones that didn't make the final cut are listed as well.
1. Fashion designer. Shoes, handbags, anything to do with fabric and pleated leather. I'm a terrible seamstress but I love to delegate!
2. Wine taster and critic. Besides the joy of testing new (and old) vintages, it would use my creative writing talents to their limits. My favorite part of the Wall Street Journal as a child was the wine column (yes, I read it as a kid--I thought that it was the ONLY daily paper! Apparently my parents weren't fans of the NYTimes or USA Today). Nutty, blackberry notes with a hint of Tuscan soil...
3. Creativity Consultant. There are so many people who need a bit of a boost!
4. Chef at a fancy fusion restaurant...or sushiwoman...or a chocolate/pastry chef. No explanation needed, I hope.
5. Editor. I'm obsessive about finding errors and adore my red pen...it's such a rush to be able to take something that was good (or really really bad) and prod it along until it's even better!
What didn't make the cut?
Host of "What Not To Wear" for a day. Or a personal shopper.
Jewelry designer. I'm already doing that, a little.
Writer. I hope to be, you know...
Singer for Cirque de Soleil. In college, I actually looked at their job application process but desisted because of the lack of health insurance. I guess I don't have the temperament to run away and join the circus.
Thanks Ali, for this great daydreaming excursion!