Sunday, March 16, 2008

Two straight days of rain

I am a bit overwhelmed by the things I have on my plate.

Most stressful at the moment? Post-graduate work in Portugese. This was a good idea, really. I just didn't expect that I'd end up the leader in most of my group work...or that I'd be doing such levels of research in a foreign language. To be sure, great stuff for a resume...but today, that isn't too inspiring.

Rain isn't the best remedy for arthritis either. Or homesickness. (I actually counted the number of months since I've seen my family today. Clear case of saudades.) But thankfully, even though the cell phone may not be ringing, I do have people I can count on. Friends make all the difference between just getting by and walking confidently through the eye of the storm. My friend R- took one look at me and raised his eyebrows in that "What's-wrong-with-you-and-why-haven't-you-talked-to-me-about-it-yet?" look, and stood in the rain with me, our umbrellas making a drippy tent, to give me a hug and let me cry. And N- took me to her home for salty ravioli and coconut cookies. Food and hug therapy. Nothin' better.

No comments: