Monday, October 06, 2008

Chickpeas

It's another rainy Monday as we look forward to a chilly afternoon on the streets. This calls for comfort food for lunch. I tried this recipe and was surprised by both the simplicity and the flavor! It's vegan, has no oil added (though if you wanted an even richer taste, I think a little butter would be fabulous) and is one of the quickest "curries" I've ever made. Not to mention the cheapest!

Tanzanian Chickpeas

One chopped tomato
½ cup cooked chickpeas
1 large garlic clove
about ½ cup coconut milk
½-3/4 teaspoon turmeric and or curry powder
¼ teaspoon ground clove
salt to taste
hot pepper if desired

Mix in saucepan, bring to boil. Add more liquid (water or coconut milk) if needed. Lightly squash the chickpeas. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes to combine flavors. Serve over rice. (Can add dried unsweetened coconut to the sauce or as a garnish too!)

---
Last night, getting home late from a far-away church service, I wanted something fast. Pasta. But red sauces bore me, probably because I can't get them right and my tomato-based sauces end up tasting acidy and contrived. My quick internet search led me to this recipe, which I altered to my tastes and devoured...

Chickpeas and Spinach Pasta

While you are cooking penne or other thick-shaped pasta in salted water, prepare the sauce:
olive oil
1/4 cup chickpeas
1/4 medium onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste
1 T white or red wine
1 cup vegetable stock
fresh or frozen spinach, about 1/2 cup fresh, 1/4 cup frozen
cream to taste
mozzarella, parmesan, asiago cheese to taste

Cook the onion and garlic in olive oil until transparent, then add the spices and wine. Mix in the chickpeas, spinach and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Crush the chickpeas with a spoon, add the cooked, drained pasta and toss. Mix in the cream, more olive oil if desired, and cheeses to taste. Serve immediately.

No comments: