Monday, March 16, 2009

Oh heavenly goodness!



It is 8:01 in the morning and I am eating Miranda bread, fresh from the oven because I couldn't let her cool. Dear me, sweet glorious explosion of crunchy, chewy, bready perfection!

That's my two loaves in the picture above, along with the last season of Dr. Who (cannot WAIT for season 5!) and my exploding inbox. Notice the lump on the uncut loaf? Yeah...even with the scoring, Miranda's population explosion was just a little too eager and she got a bit disfigured. That might have been my fault; I think I didn't give enough time for the second rising. But next time...

Let me tell you right now. This was worth letting the bread rise all night long, tucked up in pans inside pans of water so the creepy ants couldn't find their way into the dough. It was worth waking up at 5 am to punch down and form the loaves. And it was worth waiting 45 minutes for them to cook...

This is the REAL thing. This is daily bread, the stuff of life. Feed me on bread and water, I don't care. So long as it's bread, not that wimpy stuff I was brainwashed into thinking was bread...

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I agree with your last comment whole heartedly! Real, home-made bread it worth the work. Even if it's not perfect, it still beats that thin, pre-sliced s--stuff bought in grocery stores.
i do however, really enjoy bread-makers, because they do all the kneading and rising and cooking for you!