Monday, May 02, 2011

Shoes, guns and apartments

A Rio-dweller with big feet might enjoy knowing there is a pair of brand-new Kate Spade flats in a size 11 (I know! I know!) that I passed up at the Delishoes in CittaAmerica. At R$109, they're not cheap, but they're also a FAR cry from the US$200 plus that brand usually runs...

Also, is anyone else wildly excited about the fact that Converse has an option for custom-designed Dr. Seuss sneakers? I love literary allusions in my footwear...

Today was apartment visit day. At the last one, the realtor must have decided it was too much work to actually show the apartment to me. Total no-show, but she did call the landlord to let him know I was coming up to take a peek around. He was a very nice elderly gentleman with an immaculate place, lovely furnishings and revolvers on the coffee table.

You did read that correctly.

Guns. On the table. Of course, they were just black powder specimens, quite ancient, but it was a curious decoration choice to leave out when showing the place to a stranger.

I decided against it, less because of the weapons and more because of the shower built for a dwarf and the lack of a kitchen table, or anywhere to put a dining table at all. The shower didn't have a curtain but did have a glass box and swinging door. The problem was that both the walls and the door were about three feet high. Which would make for a very awkward shower, I would imagine.

I'm a little burnt out on the house hunting. This is turning out to be more interesting than I hoped and much too time-consuming. However, I've seen lots of places I can recommend for those who don't cook, don't have pets or children and have no need for silly things like washing machines, freezers, AC units...or who love neon lighting in the living room, garish 1980's gold, purple bathrooms or kitchen sinks the size of coffee cups. If you're interested in any of THOSE, I've got tons of "corretores" to introduce you to!

1 comment:

anne said...

guess you haven't seen the right place, is all. What is the deadline for the place you are in?
converse and suess? that would be awesome! wish they hadn't farmed them out to china....