Wednesday, July 13, 2005

July 13

It's fair week in Spencer. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm not showing sheep, or goats, or stressing over the last minute details of a 4-H project. No fair-week crushes, sleeping on the milking stands, making fun of the queen and her entourage high-heeling it through the pig barn... I still have time to catch the demolition derby if I want to. It's on Saturday and my brother and sister are even bringing friends to see the show. I guess other places don't have as much fun as we do!

Instead of hanging around at the fairgrounds, I'm helping out at my dad's office. His secretary always has the week off, and he likes to have someone around to answer phones. So that someone, me, is using free DSL all day and working her way through Joyce's "Finnegans Wake." Anyone else out there actually make it through the first couple of chapters???

Did Joyce know that he was writing a book for the internet age?? Every couple of sentences I have to google a name or a phrase, with only a 30 percent success rate. In spite of understanding nearly nothing, I love this book. First sentence:

"riverrun, pas Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs."

It actually makes more sense than this one:
"The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunn-
trovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy."

Yeah.

I'm trying to put all my good pics on the web, so keep checking back...

No comments: