Monday, February 13, 2006

Innie or Outie?

Rebecca had another baby shower yesterday and she and Rich were giggling as they relayed their stories...

The question of the night was: Who is going to take care of the umbilical cord?

If you thought the answer was, "the mother," you're wrong. She's probably not qualified. Example:

Random Brazilian lady quote: "My mother-in-law took care of all my children's cords and she did a fantastic job..."

Are you as confused as I am? The most sense we can make of this is that Brazilians are really body conscious and have interesting cultural superstitions. Thus, having an "outie" is the parents' fault because they didn't take care of your cord properly...and it's shameful, not to mention ugly. And you can't pierce it. So there. Make sure you get someone with experience to take care of the baby...

All the doctors are wrong. You CAN prevent ugly bellybuttons...

Disclaimer: I beg pardon from all my readers who are, in fact, outies. I personally have nothing against your bellybuttons, but beware if you ever visit Brazil. They'll blame it on your parents' lack of concern for your well-being...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please, don't stop writing!! I taught you how to read and write, and I think you owe it to me to show your great appreciation by sending me bits and pieces of your life. I laughed over this post - is there no individuality of bellybuttons down there? Everyone is an innie? How boring... I am going to a Valentine tea tomorrow, and perhaps I can talk my friends into starting a photojournal of the varieties of bellybuttons in America. It is sure to disgust all your Brazilian friends!!

Love you!!