Sunday, July 30, 2006

Mummy Hand...or Jenna as the object of much ridicule

So my finger is solidly encased in metal and gauze and about half a pound of medical tape. It appears to be waterproof though I haven't experimented. Showering with a plastic bag over one's hand is awkward--I'm glad I found a box of surgical gloves the other day! This also means my kitchen will be cleaner as I can now go back to washing my own dishes with two hands! Though I must say, it's been very nice to have a strong Brazilian man washing my dishes these last few times...the attraction quotient of men in the kitchen is highly underrated....

But back to the finger. It's not broken, but I did such a nice number on it that the prompt care I went to on Thursday immobilized it for me: for U.S. $75 including the x-rays, and not including the amusement of everyone who heard the story, nor the wittiness of the oft-repeated phrase, "How about trying Raid next time?" The doctor tried to get me to use a sling too, but I took it off as soon as I got on the bus to go home. That's overkill.


People laughed openly at me (with me?) in church today. It might have had something to do with singing my solo with my right index finger constantly pointing at something...

The best part of the ordeal isn't the story which is beginning to be less than funny to me as I try to type with nine fingers. It may be that my manicurist will give me a discount. But it probably has to go to the banana bread.

You see, I was out of ice when I smashed my finger, so I pulled out my frozen bananas and went through them one by one to ice down the swelling. And frozen bananas don't re-freeze. Especially black ones. So I took the lot of them and made a to-die for cardamom cherry banana bread that actually tastes like banana bread. No small feat with a gas oven and Rio humidity.

No one wants to eat it though....

No comments: