Sunday, April 22, 2007

On meeting a blog friend...

So I met my blog friend Ali on Friday. She's in my links if you'd like to check out her site, which is fun and, (now that we've met I can say this) a lot like her. We met up at an antique store in Lapa, which was already a good sign...she introduced me to her lovely caretaker whose name I promptly forgot but whose face and gentle smile is unforgettable. Catching a bus up to Santa Teresa, Ali showed me her gorgeous Casa Rosa, which is less house and more mansion and enviably gorgeous. I was, however, entranced not by the house but by the library room with all four walls covered floor to ceiling in bookshelves...still mostly empty. I volunteer myself to help choose filler books, Ali! Bookstores are my weakness! We had a fantastic lunch at a little natural foods café, where they served the chicken and fish breaded in granola and the pineapple juice was flecked with fresh mint.

We hit it off...from the identical Moleskine pocket journals we carry around, our mutual love of artisical things and jewelry making in particular, to our musings on the Rio scene and life as expatriates...there was lots of laughter, lots of walking, and a late afternoon on the beach. I'm sad she doesn't live in Rio...

I want to post a picture of the stunning necklace Ali gave me, an original creation. It's glass, with silver foil and dark brown lines and circles streaming through the blue organic leaf...apparently, she keeps a blow torch on her kitchen counter to do glassmaking...I have received so many compliments on this necklace in the two days I've worn it! Thank you Ali!

No comments: