Friday, May 11, 2007

If I wrote for a jewlery catalogue, it would sound like this

Since I’m not going to be here for the tea party Projeto Vidinha is having in June (to raise money to buy a combi), I offered a little extra help in the form of jewelry. I’m going to donate several pieces for them to sell at the fundraiser. So today, I stopped by the beading stores and picked up a couple of things. My problem now is...I don’t know what to give, what to sell and what to keep!

One of the necklaces is made from polished chunks of blue sodalite, red glass beads, keychain links, and a bit of ribbon. I just love the weight of these stones...I’m a sucker for heavy jewlery. I tried and tried to get pictures of the necklace and earrings but the only ones that came out are the earrings in the next picture. It's an upside down pair and they are MINE!; I loved the ones Ali had up on her website so much that I went ahead and artistically plagiarized. I hope she doesn't mind...


This necklace is made out of açai and unidentified seeds. These styles are really popular right now, so I'm sure I'll be doing a couple of similar ones for the fundraiser. They're easy to make and look great with nearly everything.

The focal glass bead on this necklace looks like a gigantic butterscotch. I think I picked it out because I was hungry at the store, and the food-colored beads kept catching my eye! I believe all the beads are glass, and the disks are “ouro velho” which isn’t really gold at all, but they clink when you walk and make a nice monochromatic statement.



A chain salvaged from another necklace started this piece, which is made of lemony yellow and toffee brown (foods, again!) crystals that were leftovers from my great-grandmother’s bead stash. I’ve never been much of a fan of yellow, and so these beads have been waiting to be used since I was in high school. Mixed with chunky caramel glass beads with some interesting shape and a quirky little beaded tassel detail to finish, this necklace is modern with an antique feel. I made a pair of matching earrings too. They look better on than I thought they would...




Please notice that I am smiling in all my pictures. (Ellen...that's for you) It's harder than it looks to balance the camera, avoid showing unwashed dishes in the background, and get a non-cheesy smile on before the flash goes off...but I am smiling. Though, personally, I like the distant, Abercrombie stare...

1 comment:

Ali Ambrosio said...

I love the photos, especially the necklaces with the seeds.

But I can't figure out, for the life of me, what you "artistically plagarized" (which, btw, is totally cool because I did the same thing with that mother of pearl and sea glass-type necklace you made a while back!).

Another picture, please, and tell me what it was that I made that inspired you.

You're always welcome to "copy" stuff - it all comes out different anyway, I will never care, especially if it is for a good cause. :)