Monday, June 15, 2009

Miami

It's going to be a long day. I've had a donut and a Starbucks, to start my day off right...seeing as I'm going to be spending nearly all of it at the MIA airport. From 12:00 noon until 11:30 p.m.

The power went off twice in the Port-au-Prince airport while we were moving through the endless security lines and when we finally walked across the tarmac, I breathed a sigh of relief. The wedding was beautiful and spending a few days with my family was priceless. But I am so glad to be on my way home now!!!

My mother replaced the stolen camera with a prehistoric digital one I actually owned a few years back, so I have pictures that I will be posting once I get back to Rio. We had a lot of fun...as I'm sure you'll be able to tell. Highlights from the trip:

-the photographer who took 1,300 pictures over the course of the ceremony and reception

-the priceless bridal bouquets that looked a bit more like funeral arrangements, with gaudy gold and blue ribbons

-taking nail scissors to the bouquets at the very last minute to make them a bit more American

-the boutioneers (is that REALLY how you spell it?) that the groomsmen wore and the bridesmaids carried, like itsy-bitsy bouquets

-a wedding that started 1 hour and 30 minutes later than planned (and 2 hours and 30 minutes later than stated on the invitation!)

-seeing the male members of the wedding party arriving at the beach rendezvous point in a giant truck. Not a pickup truck, but the sort of thing you'd haul 2 tons of gravel in...and everyone making it there safely.

-sexually aggressive maids

-amazing Creole food and fresh crab meat on the beach

-getting, like it or not, bodyguards. It certainly made things go a lot smoother...

-getting to do my little sister's hair, nails and makeup for her big day. That was fun!

That should whet your appetite for stories, but I'm off to find something to eat at this airport and settle down with my Flannery O'Connor book!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The body guard thing was who's idea?? it sounds interesting just as everything does once you write it....waiting patiently

Kathi

Anonymous said...

Your Mom had the same comments about the wedding. Bodyguards, Beautiful Wedding. LOTS of Pictures. Can't wait to see them.
Glad you are all home safe.Grammy