Friday, December 04, 2009

One more week!

It's almost that time. I'm flying down to Rio for a short trip. It'll be the best Christmas present ever when I get my big bear hug in the airport next Saturday. Just another week to go, if I can stand the anticipation. It feels like I've been away forever. Long distance dating is not fun, people!

As I wait in anticipation for the Big Travel Day, I'm occupying my time with as many creative pursuits as I can get my hands on. I expect a shipment of supplies any day now for my jewelry hobby and have been sketching up a storm in preparation. Though in all probability, my sketches will prove useless when I sit down with my tools and wire. No worries. The fun is really in playing with color and texture combos anyway.

Also, I'm starting the arduous and completely non-romantic task of editing the beastly Nanowrimo manuscript. It feels like a hand-me-down clunker, one of those cars you inherited as a 16 year old with a piping hot license. The kind of car that needs so many parts it almost seems a waste of time to fix. Yet at the same time, this old clunker is your only means of transportation...and dangit, you kind of feel a bit of affection for the thing. You've been through a lot together. So I talk to my characters on the drive to and from work, and we're trying to resolve some of our differences. It's coming along...

But not tonight. In a fit of cowardice, I abandoned the editing to dive headfirst into two new novels. (One of the perks of working at a library is first dibs!) I was impressed by pretty much everything I read today. They all had a fairytale/nursery rhyme theme, unintentionally on my part, and well done in every case. The first one, whose title eludes me (but not the shocking pink of the hardcover without a dust jacket), is a modern, teen Beauty and the Beast; the beast in question is an intelligent, horny, tortured young man who blew off his arms in a science experiment and now wields two hooks instead...

The second, Ice by Sarah Beth Durst, retells the story of the North Wind's daughter with surprising agility. It's not often you get to read a modern fairy tale that somehow seems completely believable. Maybe because it's set in such a foreign setting, the Arctic? I didn't care. I devoured the book between dinner and my nightly chat with my sweetie. Which brings me to book three, which I'm not going to finish before bed. Sad. The author is Jasper Fforde. I'm kind of thrilled with his quirkiness. This is my sort of easy beach reading...hmmmm...

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Yes, long distance relationships DO suck. But it's been my experience that it's also a good thing in some ways. Like a horribly, torturous exercise that later you realize actually DID make you stronger. You just wish there was another way to get the same muscles without the pain.