Friday, April 01, 2011

Of Interest: Things that Cost a Lot at Supermarket...

...but which might pique your interest and creativity into trying something similar. Don't rip off, though. That's not cool.

Supermarket is like the etsy of design. I just discovered it and am already tagging potential gift items. Here are some of the things that caught my eye.



Ugly monster pillows. I just love ugly weirdness when it's soft and squishy. I'm kind of hankering for a sewing machine just to do a few things like this...maybe some less-scary squeezables for my niece and nephew. Spoonflower is one of (I assume) many places where you can buy or make custom, small-run fabrics. How about taking your favorite childhood drawing and printing a meter/yard or two for some one-of-a-kind pillows? Or pillowcases, dish towels, table runners...oh goodness, too many ideas here!



I can see my mother making this as a Christmas present (to be delivered in March, of course) to the neighbors. Mom, look, I just gave you an early start on your gift-making!



The Hangelier 2.1. Clever re-use of wooden hangers into something functional and interesting to look at.

Oh, and over at Whole Living they have this idea for a wine cork trivet.



We have a long way to go in saving up corks...but what a great idea!

7 comments:

Jean said...

Love the coat hangers and trivets!!

Anonymous said...

I will have to send you a picture of my wine cork/champagne cork trivet..a little different and bought at the family reunion in Ind. Made by your great Uncle John M.
Kathi

Anonymous said...

Ouch!! Have you been talking to Jess? I was a bit late on the hand knitted sweater, and then there was that red jumper/shirt set many years ago ... I will start early on that coat rack, which I did like BTW. -Mom

Rachel said...

Ok, I want them all! Very cool stuff!

Ali la Loca said...

I'm thinking of printing some of my designs on spoonflower. Have you used it? I'm curious!

melanie said...

love your blog :) glad i found it!

--jenna said...

Thanks for the comment love! To answer questions:
1. No, I haven't been talking to anyone, Mother dear! :) But you ladies tend to put that off, as I remember...I wasn't judging!

2. Ali, I've never actually used Spoonflower, due to my lack of actual artistic talent. But their site is promising. If you use it, I'd love to know about the experience!