Friday, March 19, 2010

Checking In

It's been a month since I posted here and the guilt has finally got me writing, though there's not too much to tell. The silence on the blog has been, obviously, due to wedding planning. You didn't think I was going to live continents apart from the love of my life for very long, did you? Nope!

We're trying to put together a semi-destination wedding in 3 months time. In another state. For guests arriving from potentially 4 different continents. It's a good thing that I'm not too picky about all the details, so long as the food is good and people have fun. The thing is, planning a long-distance wedding requires fine-tuning a lot more details than you'd think. Because we can't be there in person to check out some of the things, we're relying on super-detailed contracts and emails to make sure that things will be the way we want for the big day. So all that talk about all-inclusive venues really just means that the bride and groom don't have to deal with the hassle of coordinating and arranging all the different vendors and whatnot. It's still not as simple as telling someone what your colors are and what flavor of cake you want! But...I really like this. Party planning is fun. If only I had an unlimited budget! But since I don't, I've found something much more exciting than the traditional shops selling made-in-China wares and cheesy wedding kitsch. There's a gazillion creative and clever people on the internet with blogs telling you how to make everything from your veil to an artichoke votive holder. After too many, "I can do that" moments, I decided to DIY a number of things for the wedding. Mostly to save my sanity. Because if I don't have something to occupy my mind for the next three months, I'm going to go crazy with missing V. Seriously. So I've got jewelery projects and crafty projects, graphic design ideas, a veil and hairpiece to make...the list goes on and on...

And somewhere in the middle of all this, I need to start writing again. All this commotion has been bad for my wordy creative side and she's kind of gone into hibernation. Maybe this weekend will be good for that...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

samgambayard-c-m.com